Dr. Jordan Guenette, Principal Investigator, UBC Physical Therapy & Centre for Heart Lung Innovation
Healthy male recreationally active participants wanted for a study investigating how training the muscles used to breathe can improve exercise performance.
- Between 19-39 years of age (inclusive)
- Healthy – free of cardiovascular disease or lung disease (including a history of asthma)
- Physically active more than 180 min per week
Participation involves three exercise days:
- Breathing tests followed by an exercise test (VO2MAX test) on an upright stationary bicycle.
- Randomly assigned to one of two training programs to improve your respiratory muscles. You are equally likely to be placed in either group.
- Training takes place over 6 weeks with weekly check-ups.
- Each exercise day will take approximately 3 hours for a total of 9 hours over 3 visits.
- Training is 5-10 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks
- Each check-up visit is approximately 30 min
Participants will receive an honorarium and a detailed fitness assessment.
If interested please contact: